[mythtv-users] Psychedelic colours with VAAPI playback

Jamie Moore mythtv-users at jamiem.com
Thu Jan 16 19:31:11 UTC 2014

On 16/01/14 19:00, Jamie Moore wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have been using DMO packages for mythtv for a few weeks with my
> Shuttle DS47, (Celeron 847 integrated Intel HD) with generally good results.
>
> A recent packages upgrade has resulted in strange gaudy colours when I
> playback using VAAPI. This doesn't happen when I use "High Quality" or
> "Normal" playback, but there is tearing and high CPU usage, heat and
> other problems associated with un-accelerated playback.
>
> Here's a screenshot:  http://i.imgur.com/aHO3N7T.jpg
>
> Here's some debug info: http://pastebin.com/U3BzmtNK

Many thanks to sphery in the IRC channel.

Should anyone else suffer this, the fix was to adjust the colour
settings, in mythfrontend from the playback Video menu.

He suggested I adjusted the playback colour controls in case the  driver
changed the meanings of specific values for HSB.
Ctrl+G is the default keystroke to bring up the relevant playback menu.
He was right to suggest that the H/S controls were probably at 50.

I took Colour (which for me was actually access through "Hue" in the
parent menu (see http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11983)) to ~14% and
some minor adjustments to Contrast and Brightness and we were back in
business.

I hope this might help someone else faced with the same issue.

Jamie.