[mythtv-users] DVB-T2 290e Problem Tuning HD Channels UK Freeview.

Ian Barton lists at wilkesley.net
Thu Jan 16 14:53:29 UTC 2014

On 16/01/14 12:11, PJR wrote:

> On 16/01/14 10:32, Ian Barton wrote:
>> So I got my new DVB-T2 290e added it to the backend, did a complete
>> nuke all channels and full rescan using the new card and found all the
>> HD channels. For 24hrs I was a very happy bunny as I could watch and
>> record HD.
>>
>> However, suddenly the card couldn't find the HD channels. No amount of
>> re-scanning, kernel downgrades, etc would make the HD channels re-appear.
>>
>> I am in the Winter Hill reception area. I can receive HD fine by just
>> using the TV. We have three aerials in the house and I have tested
>> using all of them. I have tried the 290e on several boxes. All have
>> the same result,  can tune all of the SD channels, but it doesn't find
>> the HD ones.
>>
>> If I run scan on the mux that has the HD channels I get the following
>> errors:
>>
>> ian at mythtv:~$ sudo scan -a3 -o zap /home/ian/uk-WinterHill >
>> channels3.conf
>> scanning /home/ian/uk-WinterHill
>> using '/dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter3/demux0'
>> ERROR: invalid enum value '7378'
>> ERROR: invalid enum value '3300'
>> ERROR: invalid enum value '0'
>> ERROR: invalid enum value '8MHz'
>> ERROR: invalid enum value '2/3'
>> ERROR: invalid enum value 'NONE'
>> ERROR: invalid enum value 'QAM2'
>> initial transponder 2 3 9 9 6 2 4 4
>> 2:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_AUTO:FEC_AUTO:FEC_AUTO:QAM_AUTO:TRANSMISSION_MODE_AUTO:GUARD_INTERVAL_AUTO:HIERARCHY_AUTO
>> __tune_to_transponder:1910: ERROR: Setting frontend parameters failed:
>> 22 Invalid argument
>> 2:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_AUTO:FEC_AUTO:FEC_AUTO:QAM_AUTO:TRANSMISSION_MODE_AUTO:GUARD_INTERVAL_AUTO:HIERARCHY_AUTO
>> __tune_to_transponder:1910: ERROR: Setting frontend parameters failed:
>> 22 Invalid argument
>> ERROR: initial tuning failed
>> dumping lists (0 services)
>> Done.
>>
>> The relevant mux info is:
>>
>> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> # Auto-generated from:
>> #
>> <http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/guidance/tech-guidance/transmitter-frequency/>
>> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> # location and provider: UK, Winter Hill
>> # date (yyyy-mm-dd)    : 2013-09-18
>> #
>> [<plp_id>] [# comment]
>> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> #T  706000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64  8k  1/32  NONE   # PSB1
>> #T  778000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64  8k  1/32  NONE   # PSB2
>> T2 737833000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM256 32k 1/128 NONE 0 # PSB3
>> #T  770000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64  8k  1/32  NONE   # COM4
>> #T  698000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64  8k  1/32  NONE   # COM5
>> #T  746000000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM64  8k  1/32  NONE   # COM6

> [...]

Yes, it's definitely Winter Hill. We are in South Cheshire and have the
choice of Winter Hall or the Wrekin. These are at opposite points of the
compass, so I am sure it isn't interference between the two. The Winter
Hill coverage map shows that we should receive  strong signal, which
seems to the the case in practice. There are no trees or buildings in
the way.

Ian.