[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 14 20:49:17 UTC 2014

> Offhand, the first thing I would ask is: do you have the SD version of
> the
> channel in question? Is it possible the scheduler is bumping the
> recording
> to there? (This question has a lot of moving parts; it will require
> scanning
> the log files to determine where you actually recorded something, I
> think).
>
> That would explain 480i, though perhaps not 720p.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

> The cable companies typically simultaneously broadcast both SD and HD
> version of the same program on different channels (think Discovery
> versus Discovery HD). Is it possible that you're simply recording off
> of the non-HD channel in those cases?
>
> Devin

Jay, Devin,

Thanks for the speedy replies.  I do have both SD and HD for most, if
not all, of the channels in question.  But they are from two separate
groups at SchedulesDirect and the HD channels go to the HD-PVR, the SD
go to an analog HVR-1950.  Also, the mediainfo output for the "reduced,
not the normal size" episodes has "AVC (NTSC)" for the video format.
 From what I've looked at so far in the mediainfo data, typically files
from the HD-PVR have:
_Format_ _Video format_ _Width x Height_ _Aspect ratio_
MPEG-TS  AVC                 1920 x 1080        16:9
and SD from the HVR-1950 has:
MPEG-PS  NTSC               720 X 480             4:3
What I see from the "reduced size" episodes is:
MPEG-TS  AVC (NTSC)      720 x 480              4:3

So, I think the HD-PVR is doing the recording for the "reduced size"
episodes.

Jay's comments about "alot of moving parts" sure seems right to me! I'll
go look into the log files, at the point of recording, to see if there
is something of a clue there.

I'll be back soon with more info.  If any further thoughts / suggestions
come to mind in the interim for you, please give me a shout.

Thanks for all your help!

Joe Henley