[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jan 14 20:17:38 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joe Henley" <joehenley at kc.rr.com>

> What I can't figure out is if the cable provider (Time Warner) is
> causing the problem or if something I'm doing is the issue. I have a
> separate cable box dedicated to, and connected only to, the HD-PVR. I
> use a firewire connection from the MythTV backend machine to the cable
> box to change channels. It all runs pretty well -- except for this
> problem.
>
> Can anyone suggest a method to determine what the root problem is?
> Does Time Warner sometimes send a normally 1920x1080 show out at 720x480?
> Is there something I'm missing?

Offhand, the first thing I would ask is: do you have the SD version of the
channel in question? Is it possible the scheduler is bumping the recording
to there? (This question has a lot of moving parts; it will require scanning
the log files to determine where you actually recorded something, I think).

That would explain 480i, though perhaps not 720p.

Cheers,
-- jra