[mythtv-users] VBI/Closed Captions with HD-PVR

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Jan 14 14:28:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Bob <mythtv at cox.net> wrote:
> $ zvbi2raw -m -d /dev/vbi_em28xx
> Capturing line 21 from /dev/vbi5
> Device cannot be opened!

This might be an issue with trying to capture VBI while video isn't running.

> I was seeing this issue when I initially tried to capture video using:
>
> $ cat /dev/video6 > /tmp/junk
>
> When I use card 8 or card 1 this issue is resolved for video.

When you say "resolved", do you just mean that the error message went
away?  Have you actually *seen* video?  Card 19 *is* the correct
profile for that board.  If you're getting error messages then you're
probably doing something else wrong.

> I do believe my cable box is set-up properly because I was able to
> successfully use zvbi2raw with the analog input of the HVR-2250.

Ok, good.

> More information that may or may not be helpful:
>
> em28xx: New device   @ 480 Mbps (eb1a:2860, interface 0, class 0)
> em28xx: Video interface 0 found
> em28xx: DVB interface 0 found
> em28xx #0: chip ID is em2860
> em28xx #0: board has no eeprom
> em28xx #0: found i2c device @ 0x4a [saa7113h]
> em28xx #0: Your board has no unique USB ID.
> em28xx #0: A hint were successfully done, based on i2c devicelist hash.
> em28xx #0: This method is not 100% failproof.
> em28xx #0: If the board were missdetected, please email this log to:
> em28xx #0: Board detected as EM2860/SAA711X Reference Design
> em28xx #0: Identified as EM2860/SAA711X Reference Design (card=19)
> saa7115 13-0025: saa7113 found (1f7113d0e100000) @ 0x4a (em28xx #0)
> em28xx #0: Config register raw data: 0x00
> em28xx #0: v4l2 driver version 0.1.3
> em28xx #0: V4L2 video device registered as video6
> em28xx #0: V4L2 VBI device registered as vbi5
> usbcore: registered new interface driver em28xx
>
> Also, I have verified I am attempting to use the composite input:
>
> $ /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl -i 1 -d /dev/video6
> Video input set to 1 (Composite1: ok)

Let's take a step back - have you *actually* seen video on the device?
 Have you tried running tvtime?

The presence or lack of errors is only a symptom of the problem.  It's
possible that the error messages you're seeing are false positives
and/or that you're not getting errors even when there are problems.
Hence assuming that some error message goes away when you take a
specific course of action is not really an indicator that you've done
the right thing.

I wonder if the standard is set to PAL or NTSC by default.  Please try
running "v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 --all" and provide the output.

If it's defaulting to PAL (which wouldn't be surprising since that
device supports both NTSC and PAL and it's sold internationally, then
you should run

v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video6 -s 1

I suspect you've got a combination of a driver bug related to trying
to use VBI while video isn't being captured, combined with you doing
some non-conventional things to make the video work.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com