[mythtv-users] My scheduler problems are back again

Justin Smith justin at smithpolglase.com
Tue Jan 14 03:53:32 UTC 2014

On 01/12/2014 12:31 AM Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/12/2014 12:02 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
> > Out of curiosity I scheduled what would have been a conflicted recording in
> > the first schedule. The scheduler then correctly moves the 2nd SBS recording
> > to the multiplex that is already tuned to SBS which permits the new
> > recording (correctly) without conflict. However once the additional
> > recording is removed the 2nd SBS recording is returned to the empty tuner in
> > preference to the already SBS-tuned tuner.
> >
> > I think this (more or less) confirms that the scheduler prioritises a
> > recording to a vacant tuner over a vacant sub-channel on an already tuned
> > multiplex
>
> No, it never does--unless you explicitly break the scheduler by enabling
> the setting:
>
> Avoid back to back recordings
> Selects the situations where the scheduler will avoid assigning shows to
> the same card if their end time and start time match. This will be
> allowed when necessary in order to resolve conflicts.
>
> Or you mess with card or input priorities and tell it to put things in
> particular places..
>
> >   - at the expense of what might otherwise be wanted for potential
> > LiveTV viewing. I would infer into this that the scheduler also then
> > prioritises a recording to a +1 channel on a vacant tuner rather than an
> > already-tuned tuner which would partially explain some of your observations
> > Stephen.
>
> MythTV, in absence of instruction to do otherwise, will always schedule
> recordings on the first-available input that can be used for that
> recording.  So, if it's doing otherwise, you've told it to do otherwise.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the issue is that
MythTV schedules the tuner used for a recording *in advance*. This is
fine if the user doesn't use Live TV in Myth, but if he/she does, then
I think it can cause problems like those described above.

I've never understood why MythTV doesn't select the tuner at the time
the recording starts. The tuner selection can then take into account
which tuners are currently used for LiveTV and other recordings, and
if any tuners are tuned to the correct multiplex already (and have a
free virtual tuner). The tuner selection can still use pre-defined
priorities etc. The scheduler could even end up using the same tuner
as LiveTV if it is tuned to the correct multiplex (different virtual
tuner).

For example, I want to avoid back-to-back recordings on the same
virtual tuner, because in Australia, the start & end times are
notoriously inaccurate, and I don't want to skip through consecutive
back-to-back recordings to watch one show.

Cheers,
Justin.