[mythtv-users] Category M "Missed" recording

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 14 01:52:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:41 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:44:36PM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> I checked the backend log and didn't see anything related to
>> recordings, just a bunch of messages about starting mythlogserver
>> every 30 seconds:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Fi60UAHe
>>
>> These mythlogserver start messages persist every 30 seconds
>> (eventually mixing with other messages) until the last one at Jan 13
>> 00:48:23.
>>
>> Any idea what would cause a recording to just be missed?  It's as if
>> the backend just forgot to record for a while.
>
> The master backend had crashed

I don't think it crashed.  The log shows it was running with process
id 5033 throughout the entire time.  It's still running with pid 5033
now so the backend process has been running uninterrupted.

> or was stuck in some way

That sounds more likely.  What could cause it to stick and then
unstick later?  How long would it need to be stuck to miss the
recording completely?  (As opposed to starting it late.)

> and didn't try
> to record the programs.  When it was restarted, the programs that were
> scheduled to record but didn't got marked as missed.

Except it hasn't restarted yet.

My main concern is trying to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Eric