[mythtv-users] VBI/Closed Captions with HD-PVR

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Jan 13 15:31:20 UTC 2014

> I picked-up a KWorld-2800 USB device on eBay and am attempting to use that
> based on what I read here:
>
> http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?cat=33
>
> At first I could not get any output from this unit. Now I've specified
> "card=8" when modprobe is called and it appears I can capture video.

I'm a little surprised you needed a "card=8" modprobe parameters,
since when I did the original support for the em28xx VBI, it was done
with the Kworld-2800.  What is your USB ID?

> However, when using zvbi2raw or ccextractor I am not getting any output.
> I've also tried both of these commands while using the "cat /dev/videoX" and
> still do not get any output.

Have you tried spinning up tvtime and enabling CC, to make sure that
you've configured to capture on the correct input (i.e. composite or
s-video), and that you're actually receiving captions?  If not, you
may wish to do that.

Also, you may wish to run the "osc" tool that comes with zvbi, as that
will show you the actual waveform.  If it's completely flat then
you're not getting VBI data at all.

With the above, at least you'll be able to tell if you have a general
problem getting captions from the kernel, or whether it's some issue
with what you're application is doing to mux them into the stream.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com