[mythtv-users] OT - How to find what is overriding my DPI setting

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Jan 13 04:22:02 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Jeremy Jones
<jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com>wrote:

> Some Background:
>
> I have an older widescreen plasma with a native resolution of 1024x768.
>  Yep that means I have 'non-square' pixels.  I am using nvidia proprietary
> driver version 319. My Distro is mythbuntu.  To make my videos display
> correctly in myth I have to set the DPI in xorg.conf to "48 x 64". This
> setting is being read, because it tells me so in Xorg.0.log.
>
> I had this problem previously with this same computer hardware / TV /
> MythTV setup. Last time another user pointed me to the lightdm.conf file,
> where the DPI hardcoded.  That's not the case this time.  What changed? I
> changed AV receivers and the sound over hdmi would not work after a period
> of non-use. In my attempts to fix this I installed different nvidia
> drivers, and subsequently screwed up X.
>
> I now have X working again, but I'm not sure what all I did in my
> attempts.  I do know I did a clean install of the nvidia driver 319.  I
> also fixed my sound issue.  Anyone having that issue I can help now.
>
> The question:
>
> I can't find what is overriding my dpi setting.  How do I track that down?
>  I've looked at every config file I could find and every log file that I
> could find.  I've even starting trying to go though the logic in some
> startup scripts.
>
> I posted my logs here:  http://pastebin.com/npLtTbC8 , in case anyone
> wants to take a look.
>
> Thanks for any pointers as I am exhausted from looking.
>
> Jeremy

You might investigate setting the display size in mm using xrandr in your
.xinitrc
Mine has this line:
/usr/bin/xrandr --output HDMI2 --mode 1280x720 --rate 60.0 --fbmm 559x419
Yours would obviously have 1024x768, with the appropriate output and
display size. If the DPI doesn't work out to what you want, you can play
with the fbmm parameter (just scale the numbers appropriately).

Karl