[mythtv-users] How to keep mythfilldatabase from creating channels

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 13:17:50 UTC 2014

On 01/12/2014 12:38 PM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Sunday 12 Jan 2014 12:12:26 Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> I would feel happier if I didn't have to do that. That is: if I could
>> tell mythfilldatabase not to create channels and to ignore programmes
>> for non-existent channels. Is this possible?
>
> You're supposed to run "<grabber> --configure" and only select the channels you
> want. This both saves it wasting time and bandwidth collecting data for
> channels and will prevent mythfilldatabase trying to insert them into the
> database.

Stuart, thanks for replying.

I already grab as few channels as I can using each of the grabbers that
I use (having indeed run each grabber in --configure mode). In general
terms though, one of my video sources has all of these channels
available whereas the other has only a subset.

So rather than running the grabbers again in order to generate the
subset needed by the more limited source I am loading the XMLTV files
into each source which is what is causing the problem.

> Incidentally, I'm guessing you're using an analogue source? In the latest
> versions of MythTV mythfilldatabase won't insert channels for digital sources.

>From mythtv's perspective both sources are analogue:

- two HVR1900 tuners connected to analogue cable;
- two HVR1900 capture devices connected to digital cable STBs.

I only have two spare STBs otherwise things would obviously be simpler.

===

By the way, I see the --remove-new-channels option in mythfilldatabase's
--help screen, but it talks about datadirect. I suspect that if this
could be made to work generically (i.e. not only in a US context) it
would probably do what I need.

Thanks, Jan