[mythtv-users] Radeon HD 6250 and 1080p content

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Jan 10 15:12:22 UTC 2014

On 01/09/2014 09:56 PM, glenb at glenb.us wrote:
> I believe the proprietary driver fglrx does not support mpeg2 only
> h264. the e 450 will do vdpau fairly well with the new amd open source
> improvements. you need a later kernel, the correct firmware and a
> recent version of mesa. there are many howto's quickly I found this
> for xbmc, but it should be enough to get your vdapu running and I
> found it worked fairly good with myth with low cpu usage using vdpau
> settings in myth. have a look at this:
>
> _http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854_
>
> if I recall kernel has to be 3.10 or later. for Ubuntu oibaf
> repository will work. for fedora i don't know offhand the best way to
> get the latest mesa installed. when i installed mine i built mesa from
> source.

I saw a number of those types of posts but thought that VPDAU wasn't the
right avenue to go down.  I guess I had it (wrongly) in my head that the
fglrx driver was the only real way to go..

Hmm.. My attempts at the VPDAU only brought up an instant failure that
it couldn't initialize playback.  I might have been missing vpdau
related packages (fedora 19 should have all of the latest pkgs to
support this).  I'm re-installing my test frontend just so I can start
with a clean slate..

-Rich