[mythtv-users] Radeon HD 6250 and 1080p content

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Fri Jan 10 09:16:47 UTC 2014

On 10/01/14 03:21, Rich West wrote:
> I had noticed that my Foxconn frontends with their AMD E-450's and the
> Radeon HD6250's were playing choppy 1080p video.  My 720p or 1080i content
> plays just fine.  Digging into it, I realized that all of the decoding is
> being done on the software level and the processor was running around
> 110%-145% (consuming one core plus part of the other) when attempting to
> play 1080p content.
>
> Playing other content is fine because mythfrontend only peaks around 80% CPU.
>
> So.. knowing that the graphics card supposedly can handle it, I set out to
> give it a shot, but I wasn't successful.  I followed
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fglrx to get the driver installed and it
> appears to be loaded, and I've tried just about every possible setting
> (obviously, vpdau doesn't work on ATI cards), but they all play *worse* than
> the non proprietary driver.
>
> Anyone have any success on this front?  It would be great to hear what has
> worked for folks!
>
> Thanks!
> -Rich

Rich,

4250 is only UVD2 capable. In case of H264 hw decode support with FOSS
route (dri2/mesa/vdpau) You need UVD2.2+. I believe issue is related to
intellectual property AMD wants to protect during opening HW spec to
FOSS world. They are doing this by moving IP critical hw-driver
interactions from driver BLOB (like fglrx) to firmware. At this stage  -
for UVD2 hardware - AMD moved only mpeg2. There is promise for H264 -
but since months there is not big progress. I personally think lack of
resources + potential cannibalization of UVD2.2+ sales are additional
slowing down factors here.
I'm working on AMD/ATI hw decode in Minimyth2
(http://minimyth2.linuxd.org). I tested it on 4250 (as only this hw I
have for tests) and results are giving me production quality system for
mpeg2 content. H264 on 4250 isn't supported by current firmware - so
playback correctly switches to software decode.
Lets hope AMD will move forward with UVD2 hardware support...
br