[mythtv-users] Radeon HD 6250 and 1080p content

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Jan 10 02:21:45 UTC 2014

I had noticed that my Foxconn frontends with their AMD E-450's and the
Radeon HD6250's were playing choppy 1080p video.  My 720p or 1080i content
plays just fine.  Digging into it, I realized that all of the decoding is
being done on the software level and the processor was running around
110%-145% (consuming one core plus part of the other) when attempting to
play 1080p content.

Playing other content is fine because mythfrontend only peaks around 80% CPU.

So.. knowing that the graphics card supposedly can handle it, I set out to
give it a shot, but I wasn't successful.  I followed
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fglrx to get the driver installed and it
appears to be loaded, and I've tried just about every possible setting
(obviously, vpdau doesn't work on ATI cards), but they all play *worse* than
the non proprietary driver.

Anyone have any success on this front?  It would be great to hear what has
worked for folks!

Thanks!
-Rich