[mythtv-users] HDMI - no signal

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 8 11:06:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 08:56:18 -0000, PJR <pjrobinson at metronet.co.uk> wrote:

> On 08/01/14 01:03, Barry Martin wrote:
>>Hi Mick!
>><quote>
>> I have set up my myth box, latest Mythbuntu, and got it working with a
>> small TV in the study, now time to move it to the lounge.  I plug it all
>> in via HDMI and the TV displays 'No Signal'.  I plug my laptop in via
>> that same HDMI lead and it works.
>> <end quote>
>>
> Mick,Looking again at this and your Xorg log:
> Not working -
> [    30.428] (II) intel(0): EDID for output VGA1
> [    30.428] (II) intel(0): Manufacturer: SAM  Model: 211  Serial#: 0
> [    30.428] (II) intel(0): Year: 2005  Week: 49
> [    30.428] (II) intel(0): EDID Version: 1.3
> [    30.428] (II) intel(0): Analog Display Input,  Input Voltage
> Level: 0.700/0.700 V
> [    30.428] (II) intel(0): Sync:
> suggests it can see the Samsung TV, ie "[ 30.428] (II) intel(0):
> Manufacturer: SAM Model: 211 Serial#: 0 " but determines it is analog
> >connected.  You haven't by any chance got it connected by an analogue
> connection and an HDMI one?  Does this line make sense?  Is it a >model
> 211 (whatever that is)?

I have no experience with HDMI so could be talking rubbish, but...

The manual for your TV
http://www.samsung.com/de/support/model/PS42E7HX/XEC-downloads does
contain the ominous:

"Do not attempt to connect the HDMI/DVI connector to a PC or Laptop
Graphics Card. (This will result in a blank screen being displayed)"

Can you clarify where your 'working' Xorg.log came from ? Was it from your
Linux laptop/Big TV or from the Mythbox/Study TV ?
If the latter, then I believe your TV doesn't support digital HDMI (though
your study TV does).
The (Windows?) laptop is probably selecting a valid analog mode, which
according to the manual is:

480p,576p,720p,1080i @ 50 Hz or 480p,720p,1080i @ 60 Hz

Thus I think your problem is:

[ 30.428] (II) intel(0): Supported established timings:
[ 30.428] (II) intel(0): 720x400 [at] 70H

and you will need to create an Xorg.conf to make it use the correct mode.

Unfortunately Google can't find one and Xorg.conf can be a nightmare for
the unintiated. Nvidia drivers usually have tools to create a basic one
that you can then tweak - maybe Intel has the same?

All I can suggest is you start researching Xorg.conf or start a new thread
"xorg.conf for Samsung plasma" and hope an expert can help.
(Or use your TV's VGA connection!)