[mythtv-users] Solved: zotac-ION-A and optical spdif with 5.1

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 10:11:08 UTC 2014

Please excuse brevity and pistakes as this email was composed on a mobile
phone.

Thanks and best regards,
Richard Morton
On 5 Jan 2014 19:11, "Richard Morton" <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having issues with getting 5.1 optical output to work on the above
board.
> I can get stereo output but as soon as I enable 5.1 in settings the
output becomes crackly (cutting in and out and popping).

> On Myth 0.27-fixes but the version is a few months old. It was a
completely fresh installation for my significant other.

> The AV receiver is dolby digital capable and successfully decodes AC3 and
DTS from other sources. myth reports that the audio device is 5.1 capable.

> Any ideas? have I hit upon a limit of this device or an incompatibility
between audio device and receiver?

> thanks

Hi

It appears that the optical cable was damaged. It worked well enough for
the (relatively) low but rate stereo CD audio to be sent to the av receiver
and the receiver to playback flawlessly but anything else went badly
popping and spluttering. A new optical tos lead resolved it and I now have
glorious surround sound.