[mythtv-users] Restore backup?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jan 6 23:56:05 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Daryl McDonald" <darylangela at gmail.com>

> Yes, I'm a total newb, and yes I have been reading the other thread,
> and if I understand correctly, I'm probably OK the way I am now, and
> I'll be even better if I sync the db backup file with Ubuntu one.
> would running "mythconverge_backup.pl --verbose" be an" in terminal
> exercise" only that would verify a good backup without restoring
> (assuming a 0 error report)? Thanks to all for the input, Daryl

It couldn't hurt anything to run it manually like that, certainly, no;
the script names them with a timestamp, so they'll never run over each
other.

What you're looking for is things like write errors, device out of
space during the backup (which can be the swap device too, since there
are pipes involved in the compression, and that's where they store
stuff temporarily.

But the exit code will catch all of those, yes.

As I say, you can get to about 98% confidence without absolutely having
to read the backup into a DB, and maybe 99%, and that's generally enough.

Cheers,
-- jra