[mythtv-users] Restore backup?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Jan 6 19:19:04 UTC 2014

On 1/5/2014 11:31 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When I look at the GUI file system I can see five db backups for the
>>> last five Sundays the size of which grows with each backup. As a
>>> result of reading the recent backup thread I tried to restore a backup
>>> through MCC, but the files don't present themselves. Am I right in
>>> assuming that the permissions need modification? Or is there a better
>>> way to restore, or confirm ability to restore through the terminal?
>>> I'm running MythTV 0.27 fixes in an Ubuntu 12.04LTS environment.
>>>
>>> Thanks, and Happy New Year to all, Daryl
>>
>> Depends on the backup. There are two different backups here.
>>
>> 1) Database Backups done by MythTV and/or the MythTV scripts
>>
>> 2) Backups done by Mythbuntu-bare (set up inside Mythbuntu-control-centre).
>>
>> Only #2 is restorable via MCC
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thomas Mashos
>

> Apparently I have both types of backups, from MythTV that I must have
> set up some time ago, and others from Mythbuntu that I set up recently
> restoration of a backup or is seeing it's 19.whatever MB size
> confirmation enough thast I would have something to work with should I
> need it?
>
> Daeyl

Hi Daryl,

One question: Why?

If you've been recording or adding media content to your MythTV system, the database is going to grow. If you restore an older backup, you will have lost the info about any recordings made since that backup was made. So, if the database is growing because you are actually using MythTV, that's what you want and you will only shoot yourself in the foot if you restore an older backup.

Regards,
Helen