[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jan 5 18:11:38 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "jedi" <jedi at mishnet.org>

> mysql is a database engine that can't be counted on to ensure
> referential integrity. Any malfunctioning code can run amok and
> trash the database. So ignoring the potential problem of an inconsistent
> database or assuming it's just end user error really isn't
> appropriate.

Well, that's true if MyISAM, but I think you can generally assume
referential integrity if your tables are Inno, and I believe they are
by default these days..

Of course, this assumes your *schema* knows about all necessary foreign
keys and the like...

That said, yes, code should sanity check what it gets back, and far too
little code actually does.

Cheers,
-- jra