[mythtv-users] Database internals

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 22:22:54 UTC 2014

>> Which means no foreign keys, one area where an inconsistent backup would
>> likely result in the cataclysmic fail on restore predicted on this
>> 'chere list.  And as you pointed out, it also doesn't support
>> transactions which means --single-transaction in mysqldump is,
>> well...doesn't really do much for myisam.
>
>Am I reading this right? That's a good thing. So MythTV can't be using
>foreign keys, hence one less trap to fall into.

I was going to say the opposite.  Foreign keys are usually a good thing.

Yes, I understand developers have a choice.  Put the integrity in the app code, or make the DB do it.

I assume a long time ago the MythTV devs decided app integrity was better/easier.  Maybe back at the start of development using MySQL foreign keys may have been difficult (lacking features, etc).

Craig