[mythtv-users] --enable-libxvid ?

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Jan 4 20:20:23 UTC 2014

I'm not completely clear on what enabling xvid does, the configuration
option is listed as:

  --enable-libxvid         enable Xvid encoding via xvidcore,
                           native MPEG-4/Xvid encoder exists [no]

What is the "native MPEG-4/Xvid encoder"? It sounds like that is part of
mythtv? So the ability to encode/decode xvid will exist regardless of
this option, and this option just switches between the internal
implementation and an external implementation?

I don't plan to ever encode xvid, although if I happen to have a video
file that uses xvid I'd like to be able to play it. Am I correct in my
interpretation that if I *don't* configure with --enable-libxvid, I'll
be able to do so? Or is --enable-libxvid required for the internal
player to be able to play xvid encoded videos?

Thanks...