[mythtv-users] Diskless LTSP Frontend

Andrew C. Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sat Jan 4 00:15:01 UTC 2014

On 03/01/2014 6:03 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 03/01/14 19:31, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Craig Cook <cncook001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just posted this page:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Diskless_LTSP_Frontend
>>>
>>> This is the result of 4 days effort.
>>>
>>> Feedback welcome (good or bad;)
>>>
>>> I am happy to provide more detail on the wiki page, I am not sure
>>> what is
>> needed though.
>>
>> This is very cool.  I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and I'll
>> look
>> forward to trying this out once 14.04 LTS stabilizes.
>>
>> In the meantime, I have a question.  I used 10.04's ltsp-build-client to
>> create my LTSP infrastructure.  A big problem I have is that when the
>> server reboots, the clients basically lose their connection to the
>> server
>> and fail to reestablish it, and all the clients ultimately have to be
>> hard-rebooted.  I asked about this at
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/469540?do=post_view_flat#469540
>>
>> but
>> never found a resolution.
>>
>> I'm wondering if your set of tools also has this problem.  I'm
>> optimistic
>> since you mentioned that the protocol is based on ssh (rather than nbd).
>>
> Different protocols, different purposes. Your choices are NFS or NBD
> for disk i/o and SSH or plain-text for console i/o.
>
> I'm using NFS and plain-text but I'm not (yet) integrating mythtv with
> my existing Debian Wheezy setup.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much. You wouldn't be booting your MBE that
> often, would you?

I run 2x FE pxeboot off a debian server, both using NFS. I can (though
try not to) reboot the server, bring it back up and the FE's will
continue running - providing I don't try to do anything with the FE's
during the boot cycle. Occassionally they'll say 'All Tuners in use' the
first time I try to do anything, but try it again and it works.

Andrew.