[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Jan 3 11:50:41 UTC 2014

On 02/01/2014 20:53, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
>     The reason I use mysqldump is because it allows me to backup or
>     transfer between machines all my databases, not just mythconverg,
>     in one simple command. Probably if I was about to do so for the first
>     time now, knowing the recommendation, I'd use mythconverg_backup for
>     just that one database, but given my mythconverg has been through
>     the mysqldump process many times, including one time that swapped
>     from MySQL to Maria without my realising, I don't imagine I'd gain much
>     safety in moving to mythconverg_backup now.
>

> Just because you haven't had any problems yet doesn't mean you should
> assume you won't have any problems in the future... There could
> conceivably be changes in myth in the future which could break your
> backup scheme and you might not realize it until it was too late.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is that it costs me nothing to set up
a mythconverg_backup cron job in addition to my current full mysql
database backups. Given all the advice given here, I'd be stupid
not to.

The last thing making me resist doing so was the thought of increasing
the amount of data I was pushing off site each day, possibly
unnecessarily. But I've decided to just stick mythconverg_backup files
on the disc that contains my recording. Obviously that disc might go
down one day, but if it does, I don't think I'll care much about
losing the database. If I had multiple recording drives, I'd stick
a copy on each.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,
	Paul.