[mythtv-users] Powermizer changes at boot

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 10:51:22 UTC 2014

On 03/01/14 00:28, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com
> <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andréas Kühne <andreas at kuhne.se
>     <mailto:andreas at kuhne.se>> wrote:
>

>         2014/1/2 Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com
>         <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>>
>
>             Just realized my video card was set for adaptive and
>             wanted to see if increasing performance in the nvidia
>             settings would change that.
>
>             The wiki says to use:
>
>             nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1'
>
>             and says it needs to be run after X starts. It suggests
>             placing that in
>
>             /etc/gdm/Init/Default
>
>             My Default file ends with 'exit 0'
>
>             Do I place it above or below that line?
>
>         You have to place it above 'exit 0', that line will end the
>         script.
>

>     Thanks. I figured that but wanted to make sure.
>

> Okay...did a reboot and the powermizer settings went back to adaptive.
> Any other places to put it where it will work?
>
> Thanks.

Have a look at :

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=129879

This gives an alternative way of doing what you want in xorg.conf

If you watch the PowerMizer Settings, it will say "Preferred Mode: Auto"
and "Current Mode: Adaptive", that doesn't matter, just leave it because
it doesn't budge from "Performance Level: 1", the max level, or in my
case "Performance Level:2" on GTS 450 using Nvidia Driver 331.20

Mike