[mythtv-users] backend with no sound hardware (0.27)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 3 04:14:46 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 11:04 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> I'm about to start setting up an 0.27 backend on a rackmount server with
> no sound hardware. I'm currently running an ancient install of 0.20, and
> I vaguely recall when I set that up there was a recommendation *not* to
> disable alsa, even on a headless backend that would never use it. I
> don't recall the exact details, but I wanted to see if there were any
> similar issues with the latest version. Will anything break on a backend
> configured with '--disable-audio-oss --disable-audio-alsa
> --disable-audio-jack --disable-audio-pulseoutput' (ie, no sound support at
> all)? Or should I go ahead and just install the alsa deps and include alsa
> support even though it will never be used, in case something somewhere
> assumes it will always have some sound implementation available?

Yes, if you do --disable-audio-alsa and/or --disable-audio-oss on
GNU/Linux systems, it will break a lot of MythTV functionality, even if
it's only a backend.  It's used by the backend itself.  You need the
library functionality, even without hardware--just like you need the X
libraries to install Qt, which you need to install mythbackend, even if
you never start (or install) an X server.

Mike