[mythtv-users] tuner numbering

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 18:17:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Roger Siddons
<dizygotheca at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:16:24 -0000, Roger Siddons <dizygotheca at ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:43:58 -0000, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It's a head scratcher, as well as other variations, I tried deleting
>>> all cards, exiting, rebooting, going into set-up> capture cards,
>>> inputting symlink names, (even though the prompt said"could not get
>>> information on "/dev/dvb/PC800i" or "/dev/dvb/HP1250) and configured
>>> them in input connections. When I tried to watch live TV, channel
>>> numbers for the analog card were white (normal) but channel numbers
>>> for the digital cards were blue (not normal) oddly enough trying to
>>> watch a digital channel resulted in a black screen accompanied with
>>> audio for the program selected. Pardon me for being so thick, this
>>> sounds like it should be real simple, but I can't see what's wrong.
>>> I've even commented out my modeprobe.d/options.conf thinking that
>>> might be interfering.   Daryl
>>

>> How many issues are we talking about here ? I presume your digital cards
>> have worked before.

Correct, I have one analog , and two digital, in a functional system.
/etc/modprobe.d/options.conf nails the HP1250 to specified value
(currently adapter0) so the PC800i falls where it must (currently
adapter1) after rebooting with options disabled, this was the order of
load so I numbered the options rule accordingly.

>> Did setup allow you to *select* the symlinks, rather than typing them in ?

No arrowing left or right presented only /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
or ditto adapter1

>> Does everything work properly when you ignore the symlinks, ie. set up the
>> cards as adapter 0 & 6 ? Do you get the "could not get information" prompt
>> for them as well ?

As currently set up all is well, and no I get "Samsumg sgh1409" or
something close to this, for both cards (footprint is
different,PCI/PCIe, but the chip is identical)

>> Some pastebinned logs of the frontend, backend might make things clearer.

I'm not real clear on commands to produce FE/BE logs, my knowledge of
Linux is sporadic at best, after batting my head up against an issue
hard enough things start seeping in.

>> A log of mythtv-setup might also help: Try "mythtv-setup --loglevel debug
>> -v all,nogui > my.log" then pastebin my.log (and delete it)
>>

> Forgot to say;
> for setup log: go to Capture Cards/Add New Card and select (or type in) a
> symlink. Then cancel the dialog & exit setup. That should log enough.
> for frontend/backend log: reproduce black screen/audio issue.

So if you're up to expanding a bit more on how to generate the logs
you'd like to see, I'm game, if not I understand, and I do have a
functional system. Further I greatly appreciate the patience and
instruction you have displayed already.  Daryl