[mythtv-users] Diskless LTSP Frontend

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Feb 28 15:51:09 UTC 2014

On 28/12/2013 01:58, Craig Cook wrote:
> I have just posted this page:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Diskless_LTSP_Frontend
>
> This is the result of 4 days effort.
>
> Feedback welcome (good or bad;)
>
> I am happy to provide more detail on the wiki page, I am not sure what
> is needed though.

I've just posted an alternative approach here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Diskless_Frontend_%28automated_creation%29,
using the Kiwi
image creation system. It's swings and roundabouts really: one advantage
of Kiwi is the creation of the image is completely automated, based
on a recipe, so there is no need to perform manual installation
steps and configuration within a chroot.
The kiwi command does it all for you. Also the result has no
throwbacks to LTSP's thinclient roots, which isn't really natural
for mythfrontend (the X server clearly needing to run on the client
rather than the server). On the negative side, Kiwi may not be well
supported outside of the opensuse Linux distribution, so you probably
need an opensuse installation to perform the steps (although there
is a web-based build service that I have yet to look into).

Cheers,
	Paul.