[mythtv-users] Getting all the buttons on my remote control to work - part 1

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Feb 26 10:51:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:35:22 -0800, you wrote:

>I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome-session-fallback. Using Synaptic I
>installed mythtv packages from ppa:mythbuntu/0.27.
>MythTV works correctly.
>
>I have a Rosewill IR remote control, model RHRC-11001. It is a Windows
>Media compatible remote.
>
>Before turning on remote control support in Mythbuntu Control Center I
>tried the remote and found that a few buttons work. I can change the
>volume, turn mute on and off, and I can toggle between play and pause
>with the play button. The rest of the buttons do nothing -- except the
>quarter moon button in the upper right corner, which puts the system in
>some version of sleep.
>
>I turned on remote control support and chose "Windows Media
>Transcievers/Remotes (all)" from the list. I checked both "Generate
>dynamic button mappings" and "Generate frontend restart mapping (Power
>followed by clear)". After clicking on Apply, those two check boxes
>reverted to unchecked.
>
>Now I can press the volume up and down buttons and can see a popup
>window showing the volume being increased or decreased, but the actual
>volume doesn't change. I can press the mute button and see "Mute On" or
>"Mute Off", but the sound does not mute.
>
>While I haven't experimented with every keyboard command, most of the
>ones I have used work as expected. The exceptions are the buttons
>related to sound. As with the remote control sound buttons, the keyboard
>volume up/down and mute buttons claim to be doing something via the
>popup windows, but have no actual effect on the sound.
>
>Where do I look to start solving this problem?
>
>Thanks.

This is the best page I have come across that explains how IR remotes
now work and how to set them up and debug them:

 http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization

It is written for LinHes, so some of the files may be in slightly
different places in Mythbuntu, but it is a very close match to how it
is in Ubuntu and it allowed me to get all my remotes working 100%.