[mythtv-users] MythTV deletes recordigs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 25 05:01:39 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 11:57 AM, Dustin Oprea wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>> On 24/02/14 15:15, Dustin Oprea wrote:
>>
>>> The recordings were there for a week, a month, or a year, and then,
>>> suddenly, were deleted. I experience this phenomenon only with Myth
>>> recordings (and no other files on that volume).
>> I would be very worried if Myth (or another program) would delete other
>> files than recordings if the filesystem fills up...
> My point being that it's not some other, outside agent doing it. Since it's
> only happening to my Myth recordings, it's definitely Myth.

There is no functionality, whatsoever, in MythTV that deletes recording
files without deleting recording metadata (whether the deletion is
interactive or automatic).  And because the only time MythTV ever
deletes any recordings without user interaction is expiration (when
recording to a full file system), when deleting "old" Live TV or Deleted
recordings, or when trimming short "surfing" recordings from the Live TV
chain, I can't think of any functionality in MythTV that could result in
a bug that causes it to delete recording files and leave the recording
metadata.  And, a system misconfiguration (such as a database connection
without sufficient (=ALL) privileges) would result in some noisy
database errors all over the logs, so you would know your configuration
is broken.  And, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone mention
such a symptom.

I'd wager it's something external (possibly even 3rd-party
MythTV-related applications/scripts/... or file system issues or ...)
messing with MythTV's files.  It may be limited to MythTV recordings due
to some other factor (such as "only MythTV is using the affected file
system(s)" or "only MythTV has files > 2/4/... GB in size" or ...) and
not due to "MythTV is deleting my files when it shouldn't".

Mike