[mythtv-users] Laggy menu navigation in recordings screen

Andrew C. Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Mon Feb 24 16:49:00 UTC 2014

On 17/02/2014 3:20 PM, Matt S. wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com
> <mailto:skd5aner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Kenneth Emerson
>     <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com <mailto:kenneth.emerson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Bryan Bennetts
>         <bryan.bennetts at gmail.com <mailto:bryan.bennetts at gmail.com>>
>         wrote:
>

>             Unfortunately I have yet to find any real time to
>             investigate :( From what I remember I *thought* it was
>             slower when moving to shows with lots of episodes in the
>             list, possibly trying to gather/buffer more information
>             than required but this was mainly speculation.
>

>         Bryan:
>
>         I have noticed the same thing. Groups with large number of
>         episodes take longer to "move by". This continues to lead me
>         to believe it is some kind of loading problem.  Since it
>         doesn't happen on the backend, it almost certainly has
>         something to do with either the network itself or how myth
>         talks to the frontend over the network.
>
>         -- Ken E.

>     I have the same issue on a brand-new frontend (running on zotac
>     zbox ID80). Playback is great, but I get a significant delay when
>     navigating the watch recordings menu.  I have a feeling it may be
>     due to either lack of CPU power, or bad nvidia drivers.  I'm using
>     opengl as the theme menu painter, and get similiar performance
>     under the Qt painter.
>
>     I'm currently running ubuntu's packaged version of Nvidia's 331.20
>     driver.
>
>     I'm surprised to hear that others are experiencing this same issue
>     on what sounds like hardware that hadn't be having the issue in
>     the past?  Has anyone tried to narrow it down to a changeset
>     and/or version that did work to one that now doesn't?  Did you
>     guys update your nvidia driver at that time?
>
>     Also, I had posted my experience here on the forum:
>     https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=52
>

> Also, meant to add that my other frontend has NO issues quickly
> navigating the watch recordings list - which indicates it's not a
> backend or database issue.

Not to make a habit of resurrecting old threads ( haven't had much time
in the past couple weeks ), but did you have any luck here?
I'm on the road at the moment, so can't look at the specifics of my
setup, but I have one netbooted frontend (an gigabit mb/intel i5) that
became *very* sluggish in the recorded programs screen after a system
update.  Reverted back to the earlier version of the kernel I was
running on that machine, and it became much more responsive, IIRC, it
was somewhere around the 3.10->3.11 area. At the time I tried doing a
disect on what specific commit had skewed my system, but there were
hundreds of commits at the time, and I ran out of time.

Know its not much help, but might give you and idea on where to start
looking.