[mythtv-users] MythTV deletes recordigs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 24 14:27:17 UTC 2014

On 02/15/2014 02:22 PM, Damian (who's also listed as Forum, below) wrote:
> Am 15.02.2014 20:18, schrieb Dustin Oprea:
>> On Feb 15, 2014 2:15 PM, "Forum" wrote:
>>> some days ago, my HTPC set in a strange behaviour: MythTV deletes
>>> recordings. Yesterday, I've selected my recordings  and saw the list
>>> of all recordings. Just after scrolling down and up the list,
>>> suddenly a recording was deleted. I use MythTV for some years, but
>>> this behaviour is absolutely new. In the last week, I've lost five
>>> recordings. What could be the reason for this behaviour?
>> I'd be interested in knowing. Its been doing this for 2.5 years, for me.
>>
>> The entries will be there, but disabled. The files will be gone. No
>> disk checks have been done.

That means your capture device provided no data, whatsoever, during
recording, so MythTV never actually wrote any file (because there was
nothing to write) and didn't report any error because your capture
device drivers didn't report any error.  The capture device drivers need
to be fixed to actually report errors when there's an error.

> on my MythTV, entries went away AND recordingfiles are also deleted.

That means they were expired, due to lack of free space.

If they're old recordings, then everything worked as designed.  If they
were brand new, you may have a less than ideal setup (either with too
little space or with your system writing to a too-small file system or
similar) that can typically be made better with proper reconfiguration.
For example, users often leave the default Storage Group Disk Scheduler
selected, even when they fill up all their file systems, and it results
in a feedback loop that eventually means new recordings are being
deleted while old ones on other file systems are never deleted.

Mike