[mythtv-users] random livetv stalls

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 01:56:10 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 23 February 2014 05:29, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I saw a stall after 30 mins using the patch.  It reproduced a few times.
> > The frontend is remote using streaming not nfs.  On the backend side, I
> am
> > suspecting the btrfs is slowing down the writes, so I am switch back to
> > ext4.
>
> Did the frontend recover though ?
> handling of errors and borderline conditions in the frontend is .....
> poor to say the least, it rarely handle them gracefully.
>
> But logs would help more than just a report of a stall or freeze...
>
> I have to say that my live TV experience has never been so good now;
> but I do get occasional freeze here and there, usually when I leave
> the frontend on live TV over night. When I get up playback has frozen

I think you might get to freeze earlier by doing things on the backend that
will delay or slow down the stream.  For example, on my backend I was copy
files from one hard drive to another, and the stream to frontend was
consistently staled, pausing, or quit.  I noticed that this behavior was
only during liveTV (recording in progress) and not with a recording that
was finished.