[mythtv-users] Legacy drives and new motherboards

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Feb 21 02:59:04 UTC 2014

I just waged an epic battle to get a new mobo with 6GBps SATA ports to
recognize my legacy 3GBps hard drives.

I am going to guess that many of us have a basket full of old slow hard
drives that just keep chugging away so this is probably not unique.

For posterity:

edit /etc/default/grub and find the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Change it to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="libata.force=3:3.0G,4:3.0G,5:3.0G,6:3.0G"

where the port numbers correspond to the ataX numbers in dmesg output.
Set those ports to 3.0G to work with older hard drives.

My Asus Z87 mobo bios doesn't recognize those drives at all but they
show up as soon as the kernel slows the ports down.

Make sure you run update-grub after you make the changes.