[mythtv-users] Recordings Paths

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 20 15:23:54 UTC 2014

On 02/19/2014 12:33 PM, Mike Carron wrote:

> On 2/19/2014 2:43 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> ***
>>> All of my storage directories except for db_backups are on the home
>>> directory.
>>> What problems should I be looking for?
>>>
>>> mike
>>>
>> Like, perhaps, filling up your root disk?
>>
>> *All* recording directories should be on other volumes than your
>> system disk, for safety's sake - unless you're only running a small
>> test system, of course.
>>
>> For I/O efficiency, each directory declared as a storage directory
>> should be on it's own spindle and occupying the entire disk. That way
>> you won't get head thrashing during recording.
>>
> The home directory is already on a 4tb hardware RAID volume and it is
> the only directory on that volume. That doesn't deal with the head
> thrashing you mentioned but at least the root disk should be safe. I
> guess I could add an SSD to hold all of the storage directories except
> Recordings, which I want to keep on the large volume.

Since we are talking about 'best practices' here, it is the /var
partition which is the danger point. If /var is in the / partition, a
logging storm kills the entire system. If /var is on a separate
partition, you can ssh in and clean things without the need for reboot.

Not also that fedora puts the mysql/mariadb 'home' at /var/lib/mysql, so
a symlink to somewhere else is a smart idea.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury