[mythtv-users] Daily cron jobs not running on MythBackend

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 21:50:30 UTC 2014

> I have a Mythbuntu backend which doesn't seem to be running any anacron
> jobs. I have a sheel script which runs a script to invoke Shepherd
> (Australia TV listings fetcher) followed by mythfilldatabase. I've put
> echo's in the script to append to a log file to see if it's actually
> running and the log file isn't changing. There are not emails to root with
> output from any cron jobs.
>
> I've also put this test script in /etc/cron.daily/ and it doesn't write to
> the /tmp log file either:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # Script : test.cron - script to make sure cron daily jobs are running.
> # -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> echo "" >> /tmp/crontest.log
> echo "crontest.cron started at  `date`" >> /tmp/crontest.log
> echo "This is crontest output" >> /tmp/crontest.log
> echo "crontest.cron finished at `date`" >> /tmp/crontest.log
> exit 0
>
> Ubunutu is version 12.04. MythTV is version 0.26.
>
> Any ideas why these anacron jobs in /etc/cron.daily/ etc may not be
> running?

Folks, I've figured out why this wasn't working. It was nothign to do with
the setup of anacron or whether it was running. It was to do with the
filenames of the scripts. Dots aren't allowed in the filenames - so
crontest.sh is illegal and won't run, but crontest is OK. Nice design
there, whoever came up with that little gem!