[mythtv-users] Automatic mythfilldatabase runs to Schedules Direct seem to be frequently failing

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 17 16:18:26 UTC 2014

On 02/15/2014 11:15 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org
> <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>     I wrapped mythfilldatabase in a script which pings the router 3
>     times, then pings an outside site 5 times, then runs mfdb:
>     #!/bin/bash
>     ping -c 3 jag
>     ping -c 3 bell.net <http://bell.net>
>     mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all.
>

> Hit send too soon. Looking at the mythtv-setup settings, I only see a
> place to put in an argument for mythfilldatabase.
>
> Are you calling your script _outside_ myth?

Well the script is 'outside' myth, just like mfdb is.
I called the script 'myth-grabber', stuck it in /usr/local/bin, so it
was with all the other 'myth....' programs, and put 'myth-grabber' in
the correct spot in mythtv-setup.

So mythtv call myth-grabber, which pings first, then runs mfdb.

> I seem to vaguely recall reading someone else having this issue before.
> Wonder if a configurable ping should just become part of mythfilldatabase.

That is not necessary when there are easy external methods of getting
the same result.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury