[mythtv-users] Two master backends on the same network?

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 16 05:41:51 UTC 2014

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 3:48 pm, "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/16/2014 12:03 AM, Jon N wrote:
>> So just by attempting to start the backend when it 'saw' the other
>> backend on the network caused an entry in the database that may in the
>> future cause problems?
>
> If the database is configured to accept connections remotely, and if the database is configured to allow login from the remote machine using the same credentials as the master backend, and if the master backend and the new _frontend_ are running the same version of the database schema, it might add a handful of options to the settings table.  If you're connecting a new _backend_ to the cluster, it should outright refuse to run, since it has no configured IP address to listen on.
I think this can be checked easy enough. Someone else (hopefully) will confirm the command line syntax shortly (it was posted only a week or two ago in relation to a similar problem) but essentially a MySQL select distinct hostname from settings will show a list of hostnames present.

Where care will be required is if your desired hostname is already present (I believe) you will need to use mythconverg_backup.pl to move all those entries to a different placeholder name first, then use mythconverg_backup.pl a second time to move old hostname to new hostname. All this assumes that you will be migrating existing recordings over to the new system.