[mythtv-users] Two master backends on the same network?

Jon N jdnandroid at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 05:03:34 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi Jon,
>

> You have by your previous action contaminated your database. I would
> appreciate input by people who know how how to solve it.
> The contamination is not desastreus. But the not belonging backends
> are now in there. And could cause problems in the future.
>
> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

So just by attempting to start the backend when it 'saw' the other
backend on the network caused an entry in the database that may in the
future cause problems?  Well, in this case I am lucky.  When I get
ready to use the new machine as the only front/backend I hope to just
replace whatever current database it has with a backup (using the
backup/restore scripts that come with MythTV) from the old computer.

Although I have to admit I haven't researched this thoroughly, so at
this point I am guessing doing a restore of a database will completely
replace anything already there. And I have been having enough problems
with both the old and new systems that I would probably uninstall and
reinstalled MythTV on the new computer if necessary to get things
working well.  Still, there are other hurtles to jump first.

Thanks,
Jon

PS.  Now that I think of it, I would like to know how to fix it
anyway.  My old and new computers have different hostnames and that is
something I was already warned would need changing when moving over
the existing database.  I'm guessing the problem I already caused may
have some parallels.