[mythtv-users] Joy and pain (Daryl McDonald)

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 12:42:54 UTC 2014

Hoi Daryl,

Saturday, February 15, 2014, 2:30:14 AM, you wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hoi Daryl,
>>
>> Saturday, February 15, 2014, 1:32:42 AM, you wrote:

>>> The reboot didn't go so well, I got a black screen with the message:
>>
>>> Gave up waiting for root device
>>> boot Args (cat/proc/cmdline)
>>> check root (did systemwait for right device?)
>>> missing modules (cat/proc/modules; ls /dev)
>>> Alert! /dev/disk/by-uuid/0b4bdaf-d0f0-4f4d-b003-8049f075c12a does not exist.
>>> dropping to a shell
>>> busy box V1.18.5 (ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu 4.1
>>> built in shell (ash) enter 'help' for a list of built in commands
>>
>>> I had to remove the new tuner to get the box to re-start. Gotta go for
>>> now my daughter's furnace needs some TLC, I'll be looking into this in
>>> the morning.   Daryl
>>

>> This seems totally unrelated. It looks like problems with accessing
>> your harddrive. It is possible that while inserting the card the sata
>> cable to your harddisk got a little bit loose.
>>

>> Tot mails,
>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens
>> --

> To get back I powered down, pulled the new tuner, rebooted and removed
> the path from TRANSMITTER_SOCKET="", shut down and restarted with no
> problem, so I would say it is related to some extent.   Daryl

As I read the output, this happend just after kernel loading, when it
wants to mount the root device. So way before lirc comes into play.
This normally happens if it can't load the right kernel module for
disk access. But since it didn't happen before or after, the most
probable cause is physical. A bad cable connection to the disk.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com