[mythtv-users] Code to convert Xfree86 modeline into an 18 byte DTD array?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 05:37:41 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Stephen Hocking
<stephen.hocking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have just had what some would call a teachable moment. After messing around
> with the ViewPortIn/ViewPortOut nvidia xorg.conf parameters, I had just
> about got things to the point where the overscan on my screen was
> compensated for nicely. Went to my TV's menu to tweak some color range
> parameters, and decided to look at the aspect ratio setttings menu for yuks.
> Apart from the default 16:9 and 4:3, it also had a "Full" option. When I
> selected that, my carefully tweaked image shrank, leaving black borders all
> around it.
>  I then took my viewport in/out settings out of the xorg.conf, and got a
> perfectly fitted image.

Always always try to eliminate overscan using the TV settings first.
Most reasonably modern panels will do it, although older 720p ones can
be a pain.

Often it is a matter of knowing which setting does what you want,
because most manufacturers call it something like "just scan" or in
your case "full".