[mythtv-users] Joy and pain (Daryl McDonald)

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 15:59:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hoi Daryl,
>

> Friday, February 14, 2014, 3:48:54 PM, you wrote:
>

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hoi NickS,
>

> Friday, February 14, 2014, 1:48:32 PM, you wrote:
>

> > looking at device '/devices/platform/lirc_serial.0/lirc/lirc0':
> > KERNEL=="lirc0"
>
> > SUBSYSTEM=="lirc"
> > DRIVER==""
> >
> > looking at parent device '/devices/platform/lirc_serial.0':
> > KERNELS=="lirc_serial.0"
> > SUBSYSTEMS=="platform"
> > DRIVERS=="lirc_serial"
>
> From this output I would create the following rule:
>
> KERNEL=="lirc*", KERNELS="lirc_serial.0", SYMLINK+="lircSerial"
>
> The first part makes sure the rule matches the device at the lirc level of
> the device tree. Previously when I (and possibly you) queried (with udevadm
> info) against "event?" and tried to match with  KERNEL=="event*"  my udev
> rule would create a symlink but it seemed to be at the wrong level to work
> with lircd. If your setup works temporarily with /dev/lirc1 then that's the
> device you need to query against using:
>
> udevadm test -a -p  $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/lirc1)
>
> and KERNEL="lirc*" is the level your udev rule should match against.
>
> The second part matches with "lirc_serial.0" which appears to be the only
> uniquely identfying piece of info further up the device tree, so we match
> the correct device regardless of the lirc number.
>
> The other issue I came across when testing the udev rule was that the
> filename in /etc/udev/rules.d made a big difference. Initially I'd created
> an 86-remote.rules, the file was picked up but the rule didn't take effect.
> Naming it z21-persistent-local.rules seemed to do the trick.
>
> Nick
>

> Here is a snip from the query you suggested Nick:
>
>  udev_device_new_from_syspath: device 0x7fa3f2832e20 has devpath
> '/devices/platform/lirc_serial.0'
> udev_device_new_from_syspath: device 0x7fa3f2833820 has devpath
> '/devices/platform'
> udev_rules_apply_to_event: LINK 'lircSerial'
> /etc/udev/rules.d/capture-card.rules:7
> udev_event_execute_rules: no node name set, will use kernel supplied name
> 'lirc1'
>
> So how do I set a node name?
>

> SUBSYSTEM=="lirc",KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]",DRIVERS=="lirc_serial",SYMLINK+="lircSerial",NODE+="lircSerial"
>

> Two thinks:
> The number in KERNELS="lirc_serial.0" kan change, so
> KERNELS="lirc_serial.*"
> The starting number of the filename, rules the ordering of the application
> of the rules.
> So it should be higher then the rules that create the original. Check in
> the default
> rules for the numbering of corresponding rules and give it the same
> [...]

Hoi Hika, I tried to put the whole command in and it didn't like the word
"then" so I've separated the command and put in the first part and it is
still working on it I guess, I just see "> and the flashing rectangle". How
long should this take? When I look in the GUI file system there is no dev
in etc, but there is a lirc.     Daryl