[mythtv-users] Joy and pain

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 00:43:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hoi Daryl,
>

> Thursday, February 13, 2014, 1:00:18 AM, you wrote:
>

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hoi Hika,
>

> Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 11:42:10 PM, you wrote:
>

>  Hoi Karl,
>
> Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 11:28:18 PM, you wrote:
>

>  On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hoi Hika, I just tried the rule with the "space \" and without them, I put
> it in with my capture card rules but no change as yet. Was that the right
> place to put it?  Daryl
> Daryl,
>
> That udev rule that Hika provided is intended to add a symlink
> /dev/lircSerial pointing to /dev/lirc1 (probably; could be a different
> number if the card is installed or not). For this test, it doesn't matter
> if your analog card is installed or not (but if it works with the card out,
> it would be good to test it again with the card installed). You can check
> to see if the udev rule is working by ls -lah /dev/lirc*  If you see
> /dev/lircSerial then that part is working and you can move on to fixing
> your lircd configuration to use that symlink.
>
> Karl
>

> The '\' at the en tell it is still the same line so use either with '\' or
> put it all on one line.
> It's just to make it more readable.
> The rule assumes it's using lirc_serial as driver. To be sure run that
> udevadm command on /dev/lirc0
> without the new card. There shouldn't then be a /dev/lirc1. Your out pu
> should then look like:
>
> Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
> walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
> found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
> A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
> and the attributes from one single parent device.
>
>   looking at device '/devices/platform/lirc_serial.0/lirc/lirc0':
>     KERNEL=="lirc0"
>     SUBSYSTEM=="lirc"
>     DRIVER==""
>
>   looking at parent device '/devices/platform/lirc_serial.0':
>     KERNELS=="lirc_serial.0"
>     SUBSYSTEMS=="platform"
>     DRIVERS=="lirc_serial"
>
>   looking at parent device '/devices/platform':
>     KERNELS=="platform"
>     SUBSYSTEMS==""
>     DRIVERS==""
>

> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com<hikavdh at gmail.com>
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens
> --
>

> Oh, one small but. If the lirc device created for the new card also uses
> [...]

Ok, I can see lirc0, lirc1, lircd, and lircSerial, in my "/dev" directory,
but I need help configuring it. Initially I used MCC's GUI and selected
"Serial Port (UART): motorola cable box".
  Even though I use MCC my system is Ubuntu, apparently that is an unusual
mix.
What should I do next?         Daryl