[mythtv-users] TV Overscan

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 23:47:21 UTC 2014

Hoi Hika,

> Hoi Dick,

> Thursday, February 13, 2014, 12:28:41 AM, you wrote:

>> I have a Panasonic TC-42PX14 Plasma TV. When using an HDMI input it has
>> a 1260 x 720 display resolution. However, it also does overscan. I'm not
>> sure exactly how much, but I do lose about 3/4 of the bar at the top of
>> my "desktop" as well as about 3/4 of the bar at the bottom. I can't tell
>> about how much I'm losing on the two sides.

>> I've Googled this issue a bit but not since joining this mailing list,
>> and I have found that there isn't a way to adjust the TV. I've seen
>> references to how it used to be possible to make that adjustment with
>> the nVidia driver, and that said facility was taken away, but it's still
>> possible to do. Not enough detail is provided in those sources to tell
>> me just where or how to do that.

>> Is this something the collected wisdom here is aware of, or would this
>> be better handled on an nVidia forum?

>> Note that I found where I can adjust the amount of the front end theme
>> is displayed by using the Appearance section of the video setup in the
>> front end. What I want to do is to be able to see all of the top and
>> bottom bars, so I can see what I'm clicking on. My guesses have been
>> pretty good, but it's a bit annoying.

>> And, on a related note, is there a place where I can tell the front end
>> to go to full screen mode, so that the rest of the desktop disappears?

>> Thanks.

> There are possibilities with adapted modelines, but that takes a lot
> of testing and trial and error. If you only use Mythtv use the option
> in the mythtv configuration. I'm not sure about the english naming but
in Configuration ->> Appearance, the first screen (Screen Settings) you
> can set your GUI size and the horizontal and vertical displacement.
> You can also use the screen wizard.

Here is some explanation about the logic off modelines:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt
and here with a calculator: http://www.arachnoid.com/modelines/
You can find many more modeline calculators.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop