[mythtv-users] Joy and pain

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Feb 12 19:18:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hoi Karl,
>
> Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 7:21:43 PM, you wrote:
>

>  On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hoi Karl,
>

> Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 7:11:10 PM, you wrote:
>

>  On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hoi Karl,
>

> Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 7:02:19 PM, you wrote:
>

>  On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> > Hoi Daryl,
> >
> > Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 6:31:36 PM, you wrote:

> test
> easier

> blasting capability)
> possibly creating more than one /dev/lirc device

> /var/run/lirc/lircd
>
> Hika,
>
> I think you're having Daryl looking for the wrong devices (in
> /dev/input/XXX). I think you need to focus on the /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1
> and the associated lircd configuration. It would seem that the analog card
> triggers the creation of /dev/lirc0, which bumps up the serial device Daryl
> was using to /dev/lirc1. So you need to come up with a udev rule to create
> a symlink for the device which is connected to /dev/lirc1 and then use that
> symlink name in the command for the lircd daemon.
> Karl
>

> /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1 are created by the lird daemon. By instructing
> the daemon properly you get only only /dev/lirc0 which is always the right
> one.
>
> I think /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1 are created by the modules or drivers.
> You have to connect the lircd daemon to the right device with the -d
> command line option.
>
> Karl
>

> You might be right there. I forgot the exact sequence about
> /var/run/lirc/lirc? and /dev/lirc?.
> But the /dev/lirc? device only contains information about the driver used,
> not about the physical device.
> So if both use the same driver... Also driver names can change with an
> upgrade.
>
> Well that's unfortunate. However, I'm nearly positive he is using
> different drivers (one is serial, the other is ...not serial--whatever the
> analog card uses) so you should still be able to create a unique symlink
> based on that, right? If not, he might just need to use /dev/lirc1 and hope
> the lirc device nodes are always created in that order...!
>
> Karl
>

> I just went out shopping and walking I remembered about /dev/lirc? and
> /dev/input/event?.
> Originally lirc used /dev/lirc?, but when lirc moved in kernel it was
> integrated in the
> [...]
in-kernel and the device I'm using now is in user space, so no module (and
thus no lirc? device). I just looked at my own system and I have no
/dev/lirc? devices for my broken iMon receiver but it does show up in
/dev/input/event? (I still use the device for the VFD display and the same
module creates the lirc devices as well). However, that device does not
have blaster capability, and I'm not sure if any of the /dev/input devices
do. In any case, Daryl is dealing with /dev/lirc? devices which almost
certainly are what his lircd is connecting to, so that's what he needs help
with.

Karl