[mythtv-users] Making use of all three tuners in the HDHR Prime

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Feb 12 18:57:22 UTC 2014

On 2/12/2014 1:43 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 02/12/2014 10:04 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 2/8/2014 5:55 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>> I have an HDHR Prime. I also have two machines running Mythbuntu. As
>>> I go through the configuration of the second machine, is it safe to
>>> set it up to use a different HDHR tuner from the one on the other
>>> machine? The first machine is using tuner 0. If I set the second
>>> machine up to use tuner 1 will that cause any conflicts?
>>
>> Could you explain what your intent is here?  Typically, MythTV is
>> configured as a cluster, where all tuners from all backends are
>> available on all frontends.  Since there's no physical limitations
>> with regards to networked tuners like the HDHomeRuns, they're usually
>> all simply configured on the master backend, or which ever backend
>> has the bulk of the storage.  It sounds like you're trying to
>> configure two completely independent MythTV systems.
>
> My intent is getting one MythTV box working, having two to experiment
> with as I go

In that case, just add all three tuners to your primary system, and make
sure not to use LiveTV on the testing system, or have any scheduled
recordings, at times when the primary will want to record.  There are
also ways to tell MythTV to temporarily lock configured tuners such that
it knows not to use them, and can reschedule.

> I haven't found documentation that spells out how MythTV is supposed
> to work at a higher level.

Something like this?
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Executive_Overview