[mythtv-users] Making use of all three tuners in the HDHR Prime

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Feb 12 18:43:08 UTC 2014

On 02/12/2014 10:04 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/8/2014 5:55 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> I have an HDHR Prime. I also have two machines running Mythbuntu. As
>> I go through the configuration of the second machine, is it safe to
>> set it up to use a different HDHR tuner from the one on the other
>> machine? The first machine is using tuner 0. If I set the second
>> machine up to use tuner 1 will that cause any conflicts?
>
> Could you explain what your intent is here?  Typically, MythTV is
> configured as a cluster, where all tuners from all backends are
> available on all frontends.  Since there's no physical limitations
> with regards to networked tuners like the HDHomeRuns, they're usually
> all simply configured on the master backend, or which ever backend has
> the bulk of the storage.  It sounds like you're trying to configure
> two completely independent MythTV systems.

My intent is getting one MythTV box working, having two to experiment
with as I go, and only slowly finding correct documentation for my
system(s). Over the weeks I've had different blockages preventing me
from getting very far. When I was using 0.26 the system wouldn't connect
to SchedulesDirect, and no one could explain why. When  I switched to
0.27 that problem went away. Meanwhile I was also trying to solve an
issue with HD video where there was jerkiness and out of sync sound.
That went away when I was finally able to use MythTV for playback,
instead of VLC Media Player or Totem Movie Player. Now that I have a
functioning system hooked up to the TV in the living room I'm able to
continue my learning there and won't need to run MythTV on a second machine.

I don't plan to store lots of video for extended periods of time. Our
habit is to pick a handful of shows to record throughout the week, watch
them, and then delete them. We have only the one TV, so I don't see the
need for multiple front ends or back ends. We do have occasions where we
want to record two programs that are scheduled at the same time. So
multiple tuners are helpful.

I haven't found documentation that spells out how MythTV is supposed to
work at a higher level. I have found documentation about details, but I
haven't read enough of them to see the larger picture. I am learning
quite a bit more about the larger picture just by following the posts on
this list, so I expect my high level picture will one day appear. You
could think of my knowledge as a jig saw puzzle where I almost have all
the edge pieces assembled, and have various areas in the middle put
together, but still don't know which of those groups goes where. But, I
enjoy jig saw puzzles, and one day I'll see enough of the whole picture
so it starts to really make sense.

I'm sure it's not the fault of the writers of the documentation --
because there are so many different distros out there where things are
done differently -- but often I find definitive instructions that just
don't work when I try them. After nosing about I eventually discover
that, "Oh. On Ubuntu it's in this directory." The writer of the
documentation must be using a different distro.

I'd better stop now before I get to rambling more than I already have. I
will post more questions as they come up, but I'll do them in individual
threads. Over the years learning Linux I've discovered that giving
thought to a e-mail subject line is almost as important as the question
being posed.

Thanks for asking each other all these questions. I'm learning a lot
just reading them.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens