[mythtv-users] Hardware advice required

Piers Kittel mailing at biased.org
Tue Feb 11 21:04:09 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

Sorry, I'm asking something that has been discussed to death but I'm
hoping for some much appreciated advice!

I used to have a MythTV setup a few years back and then I started to get
turned off broadcast TV and abandoned my setup.  My parents still watch
live TV and they are fed up with their misbehaving Humax PVR which never
worked.  I thought I should build them a MythTV setup - I know on-going
support is essential, however recently, I've moved next door, I should
be able to support them through any issues.  Silky smooth SD video is
essential and from memory, I never had perfectly smooth video with
HTPCs, I suspect it's due to the video cards I've selected in the past.
  I'd like to have a computer with a low power/low heat CPU so I would
be able to install a fanless heatsink to minimise noise from the system.

What I've got:

* Small hard drive - however I can do netboot if necessary.
* DVD drive
* Silverstone LC04 case & PSU

My current plan is to forget what I've got, and instead get a ready
built SFF PC and repurpose that for mythTV.  For example, this one looks
decent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251373342555

I'd add on:

* 500GB hard drive
* VGA - S-Video adapter
* Wireless keyboard
* Hauppauge WinTV Nova 500 PCI card (with low profile bracket)

Is this a good path to take? Or should I be considering using the LC04?
  Would the onboard video of the Dell be sufficient for smooth video
playback?  Should I get an add-in graphics card?  Am I missing anything
else?

Regards - Piers