[mythtv-users] Channel Management in the UK

Chris Dennis cgdennis at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 11 17:09:59 UTC 2014

On 11/02/14 16:42, Chris Lewis wrote:

>         I have found the mythupchuk[1] script invaluable for maintaining channels. The workflow is you do a re-scan then call mythupchuk to update a text file. You can edit the text file to adjust channel numbers and mythupchuk will then update the database appropriately. You can either use it with the standard freeview/freesat numbering or use a custom numbering scheme (We use a five digit code xyyzz: x = a block (1 for BBC, 3 for ITV, 4 for Channel 4, blocks for "Religious"/"Music" etc, yy = region or +1, zz = channel within the block).
>

>     +1 for mythupchuk scripts, very useful once you have it set up initially.

Glad to hear that people are finding it useful.

>     I wonder if it will be easy to move over to Atlas however, as it is still using Radio Times data for xmltvids

I haven't heard of Atlas -- is that a new way of getting UK channel information?

> Looks promising if a little time consuming to get the file sorted initially.

True.

> One question, the file it creates, can i put comments anywhere in the file?  i would like to divide it up into sections to make it easier to read.
>
> So something like.
>
> #BBC Channels
> channel data here
> #ITV Channels
> Channel Data Here
Absolutely -- comment lines start with #, and blank lines are ignored.  The script leaves comment and blank lines in place when making changes to the file.

> Does anyone have a suitable file i can borrow for the SW of England?
I could send you my latest file if you like -- but my channel numbering system is quirky (1=BBC1  2=BBC2  3=BBC3  11=ITV  12=ITV2 etc. -- it makes sense to me).

> Thanks again
>
> Chris

regards

Chris Dennis (author of mythupchuk)