[mythtv-users] Channel Management in the UK

Tue Feb 11 15:44:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 03:24:51PM +0000, Chris Lewis wrote:
>    Hi
>    Just wondering what the latest advice is for managing channels in the UK.
>    I have a combined BE with twin DVB-t receiving channels from the Mendip
>    Transmitter and and a twin DVB-S(2) receiving FTA channels from 28.2e.
>    At the moment i simply perform the scans and accept whatever channel
>    numbers are provided.  The problem is that when viewing the guide i get
>    loads of duplicates, and loads of channels with no guide data (all using
>    EIT)

I have found the mythupchuk[1] script invaluable for maintaining channels. The workflow is you do a re-scan then call mythupchuk to update a text file. You can edit the text file to adjust channel numbers and mythupchuk will then update the database appropriately. You can either use it with the standard freeview/freesat numbering or use a custom numbering scheme (We use a five digit code xyyzz: x = a block (1 for BBC, 3 for ITV, 4 for Channel 4, blocks for "Religious"/"Music" etc, yy = region or +1, zz = channel within the block).

>    This means that the better half basically refuses to learn how to set her
>    own recordings.  What she wants is to be able to go to the guide, find her
>    program and hit record.
>    So has anyone managed find a simple way of managing all this?  Also how
>    often are 28.2 users rescanning for new channels.

We only re-scan sporadically, usually as a result of finding some
channel is no longer tuning. I've been meaning to look to see if lyngsat
or kingofsat or one of those other websites have an RSS feed of channel
changes to 28.2E.

[1] https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk