[mythtv-users] complete system meltdown

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 01:54:21 UTC 2014

On 2/10/14, 8:46 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM, George Mari
> <george_mythusers at mari1938.org <mailto:george_mythusers at mari1938.org>>
> wrote:
>

>     On 2/10/14, 7:19 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>
>         What a day for my FE/BE!
>
>         1 mth old WD drive (2nd storage drive) died today with servo
>         messages, clicking etc.
>
>         Suddenly upon rebooting, my tv wasn't showing the bios,OS
>         load, frontend.
>
>         Attaching the mythbox to my desktop monitor didn't work (using
>         the graphics card.)
>
>         Dsub cable from the onboard to my desktop monitor showed BIOS
>         but now I'm booting to a command line instead of myth loading
>         automatically. How'd that happen?
>
>         I'm not sure if Mythbuntu is seeing both the onboard graphics
>         and the graphics card.
>
>     [deleted]
>
>     Likely cause is your hard drive that died was listed in your
>     /etc/fstab file to automatically mount on boot.  Now that it is
>     not available, you are being dumped to a command line (on my
>     Fedora box it's called the emergency shell, or something like that.)
>
>     If you are comfortable enough at the command line,  you can
>     comment out the line for that disk in your /etc/fstab file, and
>     then reboot.
>

> Yeah, no problem handling the command line. So I'll comment that line
> out. How do I get it to find my graphics card again?

I had a HD go, munged the second drive enough that I ended up pulling
it, placing it onto an external interface and ran fsck on it. I'd have
gone with a liveCD, but the machine was in an spot where it was simpler
to just pull the drive and put it on a bench machine.
After fsck was done, the drive was able to be returned to service (and a
replacement installed to replace the dead HD).