[mythtv-users] complete system meltdown

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Feb 11 01:42:33 UTC 2014

On 2/10/14, 7:19 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> What a day for my FE/BE!
>
> 1 mth old WD drive (2nd storage drive) died today with servo messages,
> clicking etc.
>
> Suddenly upon rebooting, my tv wasn't showing the bios,OS load, frontend.
>
> Attaching the mythbox to my desktop monitor didn't work (using the
> graphics card.)
>
> Dsub cable from the onboard to my desktop monitor showed BIOS but now
> I'm booting to a command line instead of myth loading automatically.
> How'd that happen?
>
> I'm not sure if Mythbuntu is seeing both the onboard graphics and the
> graphics card.
[deleted]

Likely cause is your hard drive that died was listed in your /etc/fstab
file to automatically mount on boot.  Now that it is not available, you
are being dumped to a command line (on my Fedora box it's called the
emergency shell, or something like that.)

If you are comfortable enough at the command line,  you can comment out
the line for that disk in your /etc/fstab file, and then reboot.